Central American Adventure
About La Paz, Mexico
Six Tropical Treasures
Discover the beauty of Latin America’s Pacific coast. Enjoy the tropical climate as we sail to discover historic culture, beautiful landscapes and rich wildlife in six unique countries.
Across the Equator
We start our voyage in Ecuador, and cross Equator as we sail north to our first calls on Colombia’s Pacific coast. Next, we visit Gorgona Island, a beautiful tropical isle and national park with lush green rainforest and fascinating volcanic rock formations. Here we´ll find the village of Bahia Solano, located in splendid isolation, for wildlife watching or enjoying a range of activities.
Panamanian Park and Costa Rican Relaxing
In Panama, we call on Darien National Park, home to the Embras community and remarkable flora and wildlife. Cebaco Island offers great hiking opportunities through its tropical rainforest.
Throughout the expedition cruise, you can enjoy the slow pace of life, unwind on the beach, or swim in the warm waters. Our next stops at Quepos and Golfito in Costa Rica offer fantastic activities.
Nicaragua and Mexico
Nicaragua’s San Juan del Sur is the perfect setting for a relaxed day on a sandy beach, before we sail north to Acapulco, Mexico, which invites you for a stroll through its historic center and the botanical garden. Finally, we set sail northbound to La Paz, the capital of Baja California in Mexico to complete our adventure.
- Experience the best of Latin America – six countries on one expedition cruise
- Explore stunning landscapes, balmy climates and colorful cultures
- Get close to rich biodiversity - monkeys, mangroves, humming birds and more
- Visit amazing national parks
- Hurtigruten expedition cruise in the cabin grade of your choice
- One hotel night in Guayaquil before the voyage including breakfast
- Transfer from hotel to ship including a city tour
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR AN ADVENTURE
- A rich program of included activities on all voyages designed to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including onshore exploration with the expedition team
- Professional English-speaking expedition team - an international handpicked team of highly educated experts in various academic fields with profound knowledge of the regions we sail through
- Complimentary wind- and water-resistant jacket
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and equipment needed for optional and included activities
ENGAGING ONBOARD ACTIVITIES AND EDUCATION
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Explorer Science program, with educational and Citizen Science activities that let you learn about the sights you’ll see while contributing to research
- Introductory photo lecture, including camera adjustments and tips and tricks
- Photos and film/video footage from the voyage shared in the Expedition Logbook
- Casual opportunities to engage with the expedition team and other guests, including a welcome event, daily gatherings to recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the expedition team and officers
- Destination-focused onboard library
- Port presentations providing destination insight
- A farewell event
PREMIUM ONBOARD COMFORT
- All meals including beverages (beer and wine, sodas and mineral water in all ship restaurants)
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- Early riser and afternoon treat offered in addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Fredheim restaurant meals included
- A la carte restaurant (only for suite guests)
- Gym, outdoor hot tubs and sauna with windows
- Rejuvenating wellness areas with separate treatment rooms, infinity pool, outdoor gym, running track
- Free Wi-fi onboard for all guests. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- No gratuities expected
- International flights
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Travel protection plan
- Luggage handling
- A mandatory yellow fever vaccination is required - see Entry requirements here
Welcome to Ecuador! - Guayaquil, Ecuador - Hotel
Guayaquil was founded in 1538 and quickly became the largest shipyard in South America, often being attacked by pirates. We recommend a stroll through the historic center, a visit of the Mercado Artesanal or a walk along the riverfront at Malecon 2000. Overnight at hotel.
Start of the ship expedition - Guayaquil, Ecuador - Embarkation
After breakfast we take you on a city tour to learn more about Guayaquil and its interesting history. The tour ends at the pier where MS Roald Amundsen awaits your embarkation.
Serenity at Sea - At sea
Enjoy your first day at sea! We will celebrate crossing the Equator with a special ceremony. Our expedition team will start the lecture program, introduce the cruise agenda and let you know about plans for the exciting days ahead.
Gorgona Island National Park - Gorgona Island, Colombia - Full Day
Situated about 20 miles off the Colombian Pacific coast, we will spend a day in Gorgona Island National Park, home to 240 square miles of rich wildlife and tropical forest.
Tropical Paradise - Bahía Solano, Colombia - Full Day
The colorful village of Bahía Solano is set in magnificent isolation. Beaches are nearby and the jungle with lush tropical flora and fauna awaits you.
Monkeys, Mangroves and Macaws - Darien National Park, Panama - Full Day
Our first stop in Panama is Punta Alegre, a little town which gives us access to Darien National Park, listed by UNESCO as a World Heritage site. The tropical rain forest hosts an abundance of wildlife and remarkable plants as well as being home to three indigenous tribes, the Embara, Kuna and Wounaan.
Beach Life - Cebaco Island, Panama - Full Day
Cebaco Island, in the Gulf of Montijo, is Panama’s third-largest island. The main settlement is El Jobo, and the island boasts beautiful beaches with breathtaking coastline offering a variety of activities.
Pura Vida in Costa Rica - Golfito, Costa Rica - Full Day
Enjoy a day of adventure and exploration. Golfito is home to some wonderful vistas. Come ashore and relax on golden beaches for surfing and swimming. The nearby national park of Piedras Blancas offers fine walking tours through rainforest and the chance to see waterfalls, monkeys, bats and exotic birds.
Manuel Antonio National Park - Quepos, Costa Rica - Full Day
Quepos is the gateway to Manuel Antonio National Park, renowned for three-toed sloths, howler, squirrel and endangered white-faced capuchin monkeys, as well as hundreds of bird species. The park boasts mangroves, lagoons, white-sand beaches, coral reefs and rainforest with hiking trails that are great for exploring.
Cultural Show (30 mins)
Folkloric Dancing is not only colorful and exciting to watch, but each dance tells it's own story. Costa Rica has a rich history with folkloric dancing, and we are happy to offer you the chance to see a performance yourself right onboard!
A Taste of Nicaragua - San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua - Full Day
Welcome to Nicaragua and the coastal town of San Juan del Sur, known for its long sandy half-moon-shaped beach, green hills, seafood restaurants and laidback surfer lifestyle. Enjoy a relaxed day on the beach and exploring the town or join one of our excursions.
Experience Colorful Grenada & School Visit (5h30)
Experience the beauty of Nicaragua on this lovely half-day adventure to the picturesque city of Granada, along Lake Nicaragua and in the shadow of towering Mombacho volcano. Founded in 1524, Granada’s historic churches and convents have survived both earthquakes and invasions by English, Dutch and French pirates. Visit a local school where you can donate school supplies and enjoy some free time strolling around.
At your Leisure - At sea
Days at sea mean you can join the expedition team for interesting lectures, learn the basics of expedition photography, and spend time out on deck enjoying the fresh sea air as you scout for wildlife. Bask in the serenity of a day at sea.
Pearl of the Pacific - Acapulco, Mexico - Half Day
Get to know the famed resort of Acapulco. The stunning landscape with wide bays, sandy beaches and green hills will fascinate you. Visit the botanical garden, the impressive 17th-century fort and of course one of the city’s many beaches.
City Tour and Cliff Divers (3h30)
Go on a scenic drive through Acapulco and pay a visit to La Quebrada, home to Acapulco’s famous cliff divers. We pass famous beaches, the city centre and many resort hotels. At La Quebrada you can watch the world famous divers leap into the Pacific. Relax and enjoy a soft drink whilst taking in the spectacle!
Serenity at Sea - At sea
We recap the voyage and enjoy two peaceful days at sea as we make our way north to Baja California. Enjoy the ships many facilities and spend time on deck to scout for wildlife.
Viva Mexico! - La Paz, Baja California, Mexico - Disembarkation
In the morning, we arrive in Pichilingue, the port of La Paz on the Baja California peninsula. After disembarking, we recommend visiting La Paz’s waterfront malecón and the historic center around the Plaza Constitución. Viva Mexico!